In all candour, I’m not one to be plagued by writer’s block. But truth be told, it appears to be hitting me full tilt, of late. It’s as though I’ve just run out of things to write about. I agonised over it. I pondered. I (mentally) dissected. I ranted. I raved. Then it dawned upon me that all these musings could very well be collated into one single (if somewhat lengthy) written pout and voila, I’d have broken the jinx. In that same Eureka moment, I also realised that many of us stumble across these “blank” moments ever so often and that perhaps I could help just a tad with a list of possible How To Break That Block ideas.
1. Pick an object in your immediate view. Fixate upon it. Research it a little. A few paras should pop right up. For instance, what’s in my current line of vision is a roll of Scotch tape. Where I come from, we call it Sellotape. Expand the story. Explore the many different (and unusual) ways in which tape is used. For instance, when I was a teenager, having double eyelids was SO in that many of my classmates would resort to taping their lids with double tape and/or Sellotape to create the illusion of, you got it, double eyelids.
2. Find something trending which everyone appears to like, for no apparent reason. Trash it, bash it, but only if you’re genuinely against it. In my books, that spells (stupid) reality shows such as Storage Wars OR The Real Housewives OR Pawn Stars OR OR OR … please, don’t get me started. Those shows are to me strictly dumbass.
3. On the flipside, what’s something you’re particularly fond of at this moment? For me, it’s Rip 60: 3-in-1 Foam Roller particularly the Rolling Massage Stick. Oh. My. God. That’s all I’m going to say. Make sure you wax lyrical about your fave thing
4. Create voodoo dolls of THOSE persons whom never appear to encounter writer’s blocks. Yeah, you heard it here first. Besides, the DIY aspect of it could very be the catalyst for a future post. You never know. I think this could be a truly fun option.
5. When all else appears to have failed, compile your woes and make that your post of the day. Trust me, you’ll resonate with quite a few of your peers out there.
p/s Killing two birds with one stone is exceptionally gratifying as well http://heartifb.com/2013/06/15/ifb-project-100-write-a-list-post/